Wednesday, December 12

Donating Nickels For Clicks: Les Scammell


When Les Scammell, a semi-retired educator and blogger living in the little town of Gympie, Australia, heard about a family struggling to keep a roof over their heads this Christmas, he and his family decided to do something about it.

They filled a couple of boxes with toys and sent them off. It was a small gesture, but enough to remind the struggling family and their children that there is still a lot to hope for in the world. The burden of a ruined Christmas for their children was lifted.

And as they often do, this simple gift of kindness by the Scammells inspired yet another. Since they had already made a small profit on their stock portfolio, they decided to donate it rather than roll it over. The proceeds have gone on to help more children through the Salvation Army and St. Vincent de Paul Society.

From this gift, it seems Scammell learned another lesson as people often do: generosity attracts more opportunities for generosity — something he wants to share with the blogging community and anyone else who has a spare minute of time.

When you visit any of his blogs, Just 4 Families, My Radical Blogs, and Coolayla, he will donate a nickel. Visit all three today, and he’ll donate 15 cents. Visit all three, every day through Dec. 19, and you will be responsible for more than $1 donated to charity. Send 100 friends to visit, and well, you get the idea.

“We set a target of $250, but actually hope to exceed it,” says Scammell. “At present, we have $120 from online advertising (that we’re adding in) and another $50 from visitors. I hope we can make it. Really, my wish target is more around $500.”

His pledge, one nickel for every visit, with no limit, will be donated to the Salvation Army, St. Vincent de Paul Society, and several families in the area that he says could use a PMU this holiday season. PMU, he says, stands for “pick me up.” To me, it stands for lifting the spirits of others.

“I’ve found the blogging community to be rather apathetic to a lot of causes,” Scammell says. “My traffic had a tiny spike when I first started, but has since gone down a little. I was hoping someone would Digg or help push it in other venues. But I have met some new people through the promotion and they are loyally visiting each day.”

Undeterred, Scammell continues to promote his pledge and ask people to be part of it. Nothing would make him happier than to see people visit his three blogs and drive his next donation amounts to $500 or $1,000 or even $1,500. But even his original pledge of $250 would touch a lot of lives, including yours if you take just a minute of time to visit all three blogs today, tomorrow, and for the next seven days.

Just 4 Families provides tips and hints for helping families.
My Radical Blogs offers reviews and rants from the radical blogger.
Coolayla, his newest blog, paints a picture of the town he lives in.

All three of them make giving easy with a nickel a click for children this Christmas, or a nickel for hope this holiday season. Whatever you prefer, I can promise you this — generosity attracts more opportunities for generosity.

Digg!

4 comments:

Sweet Tea on 12/12/07, 12:33 PM said...

Thanks Rich. This is wonderful! You know what? You said,"generosity attracts more opportunities for generosity."

Let me tell you that since I got a Christmas miracle I've had more opportunities to help people in various ways. It's not something I can do financially but I can certainly do a lot in other ways.

A miracle was given to me and I will always be grateful and I will try to contribute any way I can.

Rich on 12/12/07, 1:53 PM said...

Thank you Jane. I thought so too!

I'm always impressed with what you do for others. I'm not sure if you know this or not, but people who give tend to live longer and have healthier, happier, and more fulfilling lives. It's true. :)

In other words, I'm sure you'll be around some time. Ha!

All my best,
Rich

Sweet Tea on 12/12/07, 9:20 PM said...

Hey Rich. Found this quote which I love but don't know the author.

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”

Rich on 12/13/07, 7:08 AM said...

Jane,

Exactly that.

It's a beautiful quote, with the author unknown (though attributed to several people online). The author was possibly too busy having their breath take away. It's also why I shared what Les is doing.

"We're not here to take from life, but to give to it."

Best,
Rich

 

Blog Archive

by Richard R Becker Copyright and Trademark, Copywrite, Ink. © 2021; Theme designed by Bie Blogger Template